Saturday, July 20, 2024

Raytheon awarded $9.6M for new ship-sinking missile production

The U.S. Department of Defense recently announced that Raytheon has secured a $9.6 million cost delivery order.

The contract award from the U.S. Marine Corps Systems Command aims to acquire essential long lead items, crucial for supporting the low-rate initial production phase of the Navy Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System (NMESIS) launcher.

The contracted work will predominantly take place in Kongsberg, Norway, constituting 80% of the project, with the remaining 20% based in Tucson, Arizona. Completion of the designated work is expected by January 2026.

- ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW -

The NMESIS stands as a specialized anti-ship missile system devised to facilitate land-to-sea attacks and is exclusively tailored for the US Marine Corps (USMC), supplementing the US Navy’s strategic endeavors.

In a demonstration of its capabilities in 2021, the NMESIS showcased its efficacy as Marines utilized the system to assist in sinking a decommissioned Navy vessel during the Large Scale Exercise 2021.

Photo by Juan Magadan

At its core, the NMESIS harnesses the Naval Strike Missile (NSM), the latest anti-ship missile within the US Navy’s arsenal. The NSM is mounted atop the chassis of an unmanned variant of the Oshkosh Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV).

The integral ground vehicle platform, known as the Remotely Operated Ground Unit for Expeditionary (ROGUE) Fires vehicle, is provided by Oshkosh Defense. Simultaneously, the NSM is a joint endeavor between Raytheon Missiles & Defense and the Norwegian company, Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace.

The Marine Corps Systems Command (MCSC) facilitated the acquisition of the NMESIS, aligning with the USMC’s strategic needs for an adept ground-based anti-ship missile (GBASM) system to bolster their operational capabilities.

If you would like to show your support for what we are doing, here's where to do it.

If you wish to report grammatical or factual errors within our news articles, you can let us know by using the online feedback form.

Executive Editor

About author:

Dylan Malyasov
Dylan Malyasov
Dylan Malyasov is the editor-in-chief of Defence Blog. He is a journalist, an accredited defense advisor, and a consultant. His background as a defense advisor and consultant adds a unique perspective to his journalistic endeavors, ensuring that his reporting is well-informed and authoritative. read more

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

TRENDING NOW

Russia faces artillery barrel shortage

Russia is grappling with a severe issue in the production of artillery barrels, a critical component for its military capabilities, according to a recent...