Thursday, July 18, 2024

NATO kick off large-scale military exercise amid Russian warnings

NATO launched the largest exercise in recent history military drills to showcase its own military prowess amid Russian warnings.

Held in Norway, the Trident Juncture 2018 exercise starts on 25 October and continues through 7 November.

Norway is hosting Nato’s biggest exercises since the end of the Cold War to remind Russia the alliance stands united, despite seeds of doubt planted by United States President Donald Trump.

- ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW -

About 50,000 soldiers, 10,000 vehicles, 65 ships and 250 aircraft from 31 countries are taking part in Trident Juncture 18, aimed at training the Atlantic Alliance to defend a member state after an aggression.

“In recent years, Europe’s security environment has significantly deteriorated,” said Nato secretary-general Jens Stoltenberg on Wednesday. “Trident Juncture sends a clear message to our nations and to any potential adversary. Nato does not seek confrontation but we stand ready to defend all allies against any threat.”

Russia last month also held its biggest maneuvers since 1981, called Vostok-2018 (East-2018), mobilizing 300,000 troops in a show of force close to China’s border which included joint drills with the Chinese and Mongolian armies.

Russia has repeatedly flaunted its military strength in recent years. Its army has annexed Crimea, helped destabilise eastern Ukraine, beefed up its military capabilities in the Arctic and conducted its biggest-ever exercises in the Far East last month.

According to the The Straits Times, the Russian embassy in Oslo said it considered Trident Juncture as an “anti-Russian” exercise. “Such activity… comes across as provocative, even if you try to justify it as being of a purely defensive nature,” it said.

For months, Moscow has been annoyed by the growing Western military presence in the region. The US and Britain have been increasing their deployments in Norway to accustom their troops to cold weather combat.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Maria Zakharova, speaking earlier this month, condemned what she termed as Nato’s “sabre-rattling” and vowed that Moscow would take “retaliatory measures”.

She said:”The main Nato countries are increasing their military presence in the region. Such irresponsible actions are bound to lead to a destabilisation of the political situation in the North.”

Tensions already flared last Saturday after Mr Trump announced he was abandoning a Cold War-era nuclear treaty, a move which Russia warned could cripple global security. Accusing Russia of developing a new missile, the SSC-8, Mr Trump threatened to increase the US nuclear weapons arsenal.

https://youtu.be/BSyUDC9oLFM

If you would like to show your support for what we are doing, here's where to do it.

If you wish to report grammatical or factual errors within our news articles, you can let us know by using the online feedback form.

Executive Editor

About author:

Dylan Malyasov
Dylan Malyasov
Dylan Malyasov is the editor-in-chief of Defence Blog. He is a journalist, an accredited defense advisor, and a consultant. His background as a defense advisor and consultant adds a unique perspective to his journalistic endeavors, ensuring that his reporting is well-informed and authoritative. read more

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

TRENDING NOW

New images reveal Abrams prototype with 140mm gun

Recent images have surfaced online, showcasing the M1 "Thumper" prototype, a unique variant of the legendary M1 Abrams tank equipped with a 140mm main...