Saturday, May 25, 2024

Taliban guerrillas launched a salvo of rockets at Bagram Air Field

Taliban guerrillas launched a salvo of rockets at Bagram Air Field but caused no casualties or damage at the sprawling facility north of Kabul, officials said Friday.

The attackers fired four short-range rockets at the base, where large numbers of U.S. and NATO troops are stationed, on Thursday night but caused no harm, said Abdul Shakoor Quddusi, the head of Bagram district.

“We immediately sent forces to chase the enemy, but no one has been captured so far,” he said.

- ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW -

A statement posted on the Taliban website claimed responsibility and said the attack killed and wounded a number of foreign troops. The Taliban often exaggerate the effects of their actions.

Col. Brian Tribus, chief spokesman for the NATO-led coalition, confirmed that there were three incidents of indirect fire during the night but said they caused no injuries. “The last incident resulted in a small fire, which was quickly contained and extinguished,” he said.

The air field, located about 30 miles north of Kabul, has come under attack numerous times in the past.

In June, an American woman working for the Department of Defense was killed in a rocket strike on the base.

Zubair Babakarkhail contributed to this report.

www.stripes.com

If you would like to show your support for what we are doing, here's where to do it.

If you wish to report grammatical or factual errors within our news articles, you can let us know by using the online feedback form.

Executive Editor

About author:

Dylan Malyasov
Dylan Malyasov
Dylan Malyasov is the editor-in-chief of Defence Blog. He is a journalist, an accredited defense advisor, and a consultant. His background as a defense advisor and consultant adds a unique perspective to his journalistic endeavors, ensuring that his reporting is well-informed and authoritative. read more

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

TRENDING NOW