The National Aeronautics and Space Administration, or NASA, will acquire lightweight, semi-automatic rifles, a solicitation released via the US government’s Federal Business Opportunities website on 25 Jun revealed.
NASA Shared Services Center posted a notice for procurement of a lightweight, 5.56×45mm, magazine-fed, gas-operated semi-automatic rifle designed to perform multiple uses under various conditions.
This rifle, according to notice, shall be versatile as well as reliable, and shall be engineered for a wide variety of applications, to include military/law enforcement. The rifle shall be easy to accessorize and deploy the following characteristics:
- Caliber: chambered for 5.56mm NATO
- Barrel: 16 inches in length. Chrome lined bore and chamber, with Armornite barrel finish. Barrel material shall be 4140 steel. Barrel twist shall be 1 in 9”
- Weight: Less than 107 oz
- Length (overall): not to exceed 35 inches
- Magazine capacity: 30 round
- Front sight: Adj A2 Post
- Rear sight: Adjustable dual aperture OR folding Troy Magpul® Back-Up Sight (MBUS)
- Action: gas operated semi-auto
- Stock: 6 position collapsible
- Grip: polymer
- Frame material: aluminum allow
- Frame finish: Matte Black
- Recommended purpose: law enforcement and military
The request does not indicate the number of rifles, but it is noted that the total budget should not exceed 15K.