AM General is displaying for the first time the new Hawkeye lightweight 105 mm howitzer based on the chassis of HMMWV at the Annual Meeting and Exposition of the Association of the U.S. Army (AUSA).
Hawkeye. In fact, this is a modern 105-mm howitzer, which owns the reduced recoil force. This instrument was installed on the platform of a military HMMWV vehicle.
The Hawkeye howitzer system incorporates advances in protection, payload, suspensions and life-cycle sustainment – at an affordable price to meet the unique expeditionary requirements of global customers. It exemplifies the steady evolution of the HMMWV based on customer feedback, battlefield experiences, and innovation.
Hawkeye 105mm key features
- Hybrid Soft Recoil technology allows weapon to be paired with AM General HMMWV
- Lightweight at less than 2,400 lbs. (1,100 kg)
- Fires 360 degrees
- Direct fire scope is digital camera in conjunction with the digital fire control
- Most maintenance can be performed at unit level
- Electronically controlled elevation and azimuth work with digital fire control
- Growth potential for all features including a longer caliber cannon
- Reduced maintenance costs due to efficient design
At the current time Hawkeye could be a good candidate for these types of weapons as the 120-mm mortars, 106 mm recoilless guns or standard 105-mm artillery systems, thanks to such indicators as the price of destroying the target with the first shot. Light howitzer has incorporated an innovative modular design. Due to the low impact strength and low weight, it can be installed on a wide variety of military equipment, it means that a similar system may be deployed on land, water and air ways that are inaccessible for the military.