Taliban guerrillas launched a salvo of rockets at Bagram Air Field

Got a news tip for our reporters? | Follow Defence Blog at Flipboard | Subscribe to newsletter.

Taliban guerrillas launched a salvo of rockets at Bagram Air Field but caused no casualties or damage at the sprawling facility north of Kabul, officials said Friday.

The attackers fired four short-range rockets at the base, where large numbers of U.S. and NATO troops are stationed, on Thursday night but caused no harm, said Abdul Shakoor Quddusi, the head of Bagram district.

“We immediately sent forces to chase the enemy, but no one has been captured so far,” he said.

A statement posted on the Taliban website claimed responsibility and said the attack killed and wounded a number of foreign troops. The Taliban often exaggerate the effects of their actions.

Col. Brian Tribus, chief spokesman for the NATO-led coalition, confirmed that there were three incidents of indirect fire during the night but said they caused no injuries. “The last incident resulted in a small fire, which was quickly contained and extinguished,” he said.

The air field, located about 30 miles north of Kabul, has come under attack numerous times in the past.

In June, an American woman working for the Department of Defense was killed in a rocket strike on the base.

Zubair Babakarkhail contributed to this report.

www.stripes.com


Input your search keywords and press Enter.